Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Christian’s legacy of peace and hope in Christ by Rev. Katherine Liu Bruce



           My friends, have you ever pondered what is the legacy of Christians’ hope and peace in Christ? Today we would look at the John 14, Christ Jesus’ teaching of His legacy of peace and hope to His disciples. When Jesus prepares his departure from disciples, he gave His disciples specific instruction and encouragement, which explicit clearly of His legacy of hope and legacy of peace.
 What is the legacy of hope?
                          In John 14:2 he indicates of the provision in the Father’s house, he said,“Do not let your heart be troubled. Trust in God, trust also in me. In my Father’s house are many rooms, if it were not so I would have told.” (Jn.14:1-2).  In v.3 he promises that he will return.“And If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.” (v.3) I will not leave you as orphans, I will come to you.(v.18) I am going away and I am coming back to you.(v.28).  He promises of answered prayer in v.14, “you may ask me for anything in my name , and I will do it.”  He indicates of coming of the Holy Spirit-another counselor to be with disciples.
He said, “And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever.” (v.15). “The Counselor, the Holy Spirit whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things, and will remind you of everything I have said to you.” (v.26)
          The Holy Spirit is called “another counselor” or “helper” in Greek paracleteas in (14:26;15:26:16:7), in the root of this word means comforting, strengthening, encouraging, advising, exhorting, and interceding. So the interpretation can relate to 1 John 2:1 “one who speaks to the Father in our defense”. What does another counselor will do? According to Christ Jesus’ instruction
1) The Holy Spirit will indwell Christians (v.16-17)    
2) The Holy Spirit will help the disciples recall the events of His life (26.)
3) The Holy Spirit will convince the world of sin, righteousness, and judgment (16:7-11)
4) The Holy Spirit will teach believers the truth (15:26; 16:13-15)
 What is his legacy of peace?
               1)    He indicates in the John 14: 27, it says, Peace I leave with you: my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”
Jesus doesn’t want His disciples grieve or afraid when he departure from them, therefore, so He emphasizes that “peace I leave with you, my peace I give you, I don’t give to you as the world gives. Do not let your heart be troubled and do not be afraid…”
              2)  He comforts His disciples persuasively that he fulfills what Father has commanded him to do. Don’t let your heart be trouble. He said,
“If you love me you would be glad that I am going to the Father for the Father is greater than I.  I do exactly what my Father has commanded me…”(vv28-31)   
Christ Jesus’ preparation of his departure, all the teaching and encouraging to the disciples in New Testament has laid the legacy of hope and legacy of peace to His followers. It has been passing down to this new generation.
           Today Christianity’s legacy of hope is that Christ will come back to us, and he will not leave us as orphans. By the counselor which is Holy Spirit indwell us, it will speak to the Father in our defense; comforting, strengthening, encouraging, exhorting, interceding and grant us peace. So my friends, if you are disciples of Christ Jesus, do not let your heart be trouble and do not be afraid. Take comfort that the Holy Spirit indwell in you interceding, strengthening and comforting. You will hear a voice through the inner man, “the peace I leave with you…do not let your heart be troubled and do not be afraid.” “For I am with you always, till the end of this age.” 
Video Message https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCUR4_EKZFc
                

No comments:

Post a Comment