Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Bible reading & studying Jeremiah33-35 by Rev.Katherine Liu Bruce

 Bible reading & studying on 11/17/2021 Jeremiah33-35 

by Rev.Katherine Liu Bruce 

Christian Arts Ministries: Biblical precepts & Gospel music


Chapter 33 the Lord’s promise reaffirmed: the Davidic covenant. In chapter 33:6-13 God promised again to restore His people and Jerusalem.

Nevertheless, I will bring health and healing to it; I will heal my people and will let them enjoy abundant peace and security. I will bring Judah and Israel back from captivity and will rebuild them as they were before. I will cleanse them from all the sin they have committed against me and will forgive all their sins of rebellion against me and will forgive all their sins of rebellion against me. Then this city will bring me renown, joy , praise and honor before all nations on earth that hear of all the good things I do for it; and they will be in awe and will tremble at the abundant prosperity and peace I provide for it.” (vv.6-9).

This is what the Lord says: you say about this place, “it is a desolate waste, without men or animals, Yet in the towns of Judah and the streets of Jerusalem that are deserted, inhabited by neither men nor animals, there will be heard once more. The sounds of joy and gladness the voices of bride and bridegroom and the voices of those who bring thank offerings to the house of the Lord, saying, “Give thanks to the Lord Almighty, for the Lord is good; his love endures forever.” For I will restore the fortunes of the land as they were before, says the Lord.”(vv.10-11)

In Chater33:14-26 the King –Messiah will emerge from the Davidic dynasty to rule in the millennial kingdom (23:5).

 “The days are coming, “declares the Lord, “When I will fulfill the gracious promise I made to the house of Israel and to the house of Judah.” “In those days and at that times a righteous Branch sprout from David’s line; he will do what is just and right in the land. In those days Judah will be saved and Jerusalem will live in safety. This is the name by which it will be called: The Lord our Righteousness.” (vv.14-16).

For this is what the Lord says: “David will never fail to have a man to sit on the throne of the house of Israel, nor will the priests, who are Levites, ever fail to have a man to stand before me continually to offer burnt offerings, to burn grain offerings and to present sacrifices.” (vv.17-18)

In chapter 34 are the events before the fall of Jerusalem 34:1-38:28 and is message to Zedehiah. And the final assault against Jerusalem had begun; provoked by Zedekiah’s revolt in 589 Jeremiah again predicted the downfall of Jerusalem (v.2) and Zedekiah’s captivity in Babylon, where he would die in peace (v.5). His death would be marked by ceremonial incense burning (cf.the burial of Jehoiakim,22:18-19).

“Yet hear the promise of the Lord, O Zedekiah king of Judah. This is what the Lord says concerning you: You will not die by the sword; you will die peacefully. As people made a funeral fire in honor of your fathers, the former kings who preceded you, so they will make a fire in your honor and lament, “Alas, O master!” I myself make this promise, declares the Lord.(34:4-5)

34:8-11 Zedekiah convinced the people to release their Hebrew salves (who were supposed to be given their freedom after six years, (Ex.21:2), hoping thereby to impress God and cause Him to relieve the Babylonian siege against Jerusalem. But when news came that an advancing Egyptian army caused the Babylonians temporarily to life the siege and regroup against the Egyptians (37:5), the slaveowners feeling that the danger was past, forced their slaves back into service.

“Then the word of the Lord came to Jeremiah: ‘This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: I made a covenant with your forefathers when I brought them out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. I said,” Every seventh year each of you must free any fellow Hebrew who has sold himself to you. After he has served you six years, you much let him go free. Your fathers, however, did not listen to me or pay attention to me.  Recently you repented and did what is right in my sight: each of you proclaimed freedom to his countrymen. You even made a covenant before me in the house that bears my Name. But now you have turned around and profaned my name; each of you has taken back the male and female salves you had set free to go where they wished. You have forced them to become your salves again. (vv.12-16)

Therefore, this is what the Lord says: You have not obeyed me; you have not proclaimed freedom for your fellow countrymen. So I nor proclaim ‘freedom’ for you, declares the Lord –‘freedom to fall by the sword, plague and famine. I will make you abhorrent to all the kingdoms of the earth.  The men who have violated my covenant and have not fulfilled the terms of the covenant they made before me, I will treat like the calf they cut in two and then walked between its pieces…(vv.17-18)

I will hand Zedehiah king Judah and his officials over to their enemies who seek their lives, to the army of the king Babylon, which has withdrawn from you. I am going to give the order, declares the Lord, and I will bring them back to this city. They will fight against it, take it and burn it down. And I will lay waste the towns of Judah so no one can live there. (vv.21-22)  

 

 Bibliography,

Ryrie, Charles C. The Ryrie Study Bible (NIV).Chicago, IL: The Moody Bible Institute, 1986. 

No comments:

Post a Comment