Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Bible in one year 8/23/ 2022 Psalm 41-43 and a song of prayer By Rev. Katherine Liu Bruce

A prayer for protection (Psalm 43) worship song, composed, recorded and produced during Jan. 2011. the song reflect Psalmist's heart in Psalm 43 prays and yearns to God for returning to the Temple in Jerusalem     

Bible in one year 8/23/ 2022  Psalm 41-43

By Rev. Katherine Liu Bruce                                                                                                          

Christian Arts Ministries : Biblical precepts & Gospel music; Pastoral ministry & Counseling

 

Psalm 41 David’s amplification of the beatitude later recorded in Matt.5:7 includes instructing the congregation that the merciful will receive mercy(vv.1-3), recalling his experience with those who did not show him mercy (vv.4-9) and praising God, who did (vv.10-12). David’s betrayal by a false friend pictures Judas’s betrayal of Christ(John 13:18-19, where this verse is quoted, omitting the phrase “ in whom I trusted”).

Psalm 41:1-13 A psalm of  David

Blessed is he who has regard for the weak; the Lord delivers him in times of trouble. The Lord will protect him and preserve his life; he will bless him in the land and not surrender him to the desire of his foes. The Lord will sustain him on his sickbed, and restore him from his bed of illness.(vv.1-3).

I said, “ O Lord, have mercy on me; heal me, for I have sinned against you.” My enemies say of me in malice, “When will he die and his name perish?” Whenever one comes to see me, he speaks falsely, while his heart gathers slander; then he goes out and spreads it abroad. All my enemies whisper together against me; they imagine the worst for me, saying, “ A vile disease has beset him; he will never get up from the place where he lies.” Even my close friend, whom I trusted, he who shared my bread, has lifted up his heel against me.(vv.4-9).

But you, O Lord, have mercy on me; raise me up, they I may repay them. I know that you are pleased with me, for my enemy does not triuph over me. In my integrity you uphold me and set me in your presence forever. Praise be to the Lord, the God of Israel, from everlasting to everlasting to everlasting. Amen and Amen. (vv.10-13).

 

Psalm 42 and Psalm 43 These psalms comprise a single, sadly beautiful poem in which the writer, exiled in the far north of Palestine(42:6), yearns to return to the Temple in Jerusalem. He first expresses this yearning for God (42:1-5), then reveals the depths of his distress(42:6-11) and prays that he might return (43:1-5). The figure is that of a deer longing for water in the midst of prolonged drought. (v.1). The heights of Hermon.(v.6). The twenty-mile long ridge of Hermon, forty miles NE. of the Sea of Galilee. Mount Mizar. Apparently in the same vicinity but is unidentified. Deep calls to deep (v.7). The floods and cataracts of the headwaters of the Jordan illustrate the waves of sorrow that overwhelm the writer. Psalm 43 the psalmist’s mood changes to one of confidence and trust. The holy mountain and the altar serve as means to the highest end-fellowship with God Himself.

 

Psalm 42: 1-11  A psalm of the Sons of Korah

As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God? My tears have been my food day and night, while men say to me all day long, “Where is your God?” (vv.1-3).

These things I remember as I pour out my soul: How I used to go with the multitude, leading the procession to the house of God, with shouts of joy and thanksgiving among the festive throng. (v.4).

Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God. My soul is downcast within me; therefore I will remember you from the land of the Jordan, the heights of Hermon-from Mount Mizar. (vv.5-6).

Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls; all your waves and breakers have swept over me.(v.7). By day the Lord directs his love, at night his song is with me a prayer to the God of my life.(v.8). 

I say to God my Rock, “Why have you forgotten me? Why must I go about mourning, oppressed by the enemy?” My bones suffer mortal agony as my foes taunt me, saying to me all day long, “Where is your God?” Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God. (vv.7-11).

 Psalm 43: 1-5 A psalm of the Sons of Korah

Vindicate me, O God, and plead my cause against an ungodly nation; rescue me from deceitful and wicked men. (v.1).


You are God my stronghold. Why have you rejected me? Why must I go about mourning, oppressed by the enemy? (v.2)

Send forth your light and your truth let them guide me; Let them bring me to your holy mountain to the place where you dwell. (v.3).

Then will I go to the altar of God, to God, my joy and my delight. I will praise you with the harp, O God, my God. (v.4).

Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.(v.5)  






Bibliography,

Ryrie, Charles C. The Ryrie study Bible (NIV). Chicago, IL: The Moody Bible Institute, 1986. 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment