Monday, August 8, 2022

Bible in one year 8/7/2022 The book of Psalm 2- 4 By Rev. Katherine Liu Bruce

 Bible in one year 8/7/2022  The book of Psalm  2- 4

By Rev. Katherine Liu Bruce                                                                                                          

Christian Arts Ministries : Biblical precepts & Gospel music; Pastoral ministry & Counseling

 

 Psalm 2  In this royal psalm, the theme is the supreme King, as in also Pss.18,20,21,45,72, 89,101,110,132,144) , David unveils the resolve of world rulers to rebel against the Lord and His anointed King on Mt. Zion (vv.4-6), reports the resolve of the King (Jesus Christ,v.7) to recite the decree spoken to Him by the Lord on the day of His coronation giving Him authority to rule the earth in righteousness(vv.7-9), and exhorts the world rulers to submit to the Son to avoid His wrath. (vv.10-12).  The Lord (v.4). Heb., Adonai, meaning “ sovereign.” Little wonder that opposition is to Him, laughably pathetic.(Gen.15:2). Installed(v.6). into office as king. Zion. Jerusalem, where Messiah will reign during the Millennium(Isa.2:3). Today(v.7). The day of coronation. The N.T. relates this to Christ’s resurrection (Acts. 13:33-34; Rom.1:4; Heb. 1:5;5:5).   Messiah will rule and dash them to pieces when He comes again. (v.9; Rev.2:27).

Psalm 2: 1-12 “ Why do the nations conspire and the peoples plot in vain? The Kings of the earth take their stand and the rulers gather together against the Lord and against his Anointed One. “Let us break their chains,” they say, “ and throw off their fetters.” (vv.1-3).

The One enthroned in heaven laughs; the Lord scoffs at them. Then he rebukes them in his anger and terrifies them in his wrath, saying, “ I have installed my King on Zion, my holy hill.” (vv.4-6).

I will proclaim the decree of the Lord: He said to me, ‘ You are my Son; today I have become your Father. Ask of my, and I will make the nations your inheritance, the ends of the earth your possession. You will rule them with an iron scepter; you will dash them to pieces like pottery.” (vv.8-9).

Therefore, you kings, be wise; be warned, you rulers of the earth. Serve the Lord with fear and rejoice with trembling. Kiss the Son, lest he be angry and you be destroyed in your way, for his wrath can flare up in a moment. Blessed are all who take refuge in him. (vv.10-12).

 

Psalm 3  In this individual lament psalm, David is encouraged by God’s protection in the face of Absalom’s rebellion (vv.1-3), praises God for delivering him(vv.4-6), and seeks further victory from God(vv.7-8).

Psalm 3:1-8  “ O Lord, how many are my foes! How many rise up against me! How many are saying of me, “God will not deliver him.” But you are a shield around me O Lord; You bestow glory on me and lift up my head. (vv.1-3).

To the Lord I cry aloud, and he answers me from his holy hill. I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the Lord sustains me. I will not fear the tens of thousands drawn up against me on every side. (vv.4-6).

Arise, O Lord! Deliver me, O my God! Strike all my enemies on the jaw; break the teeth of the wicked. From the Lord comes deliverance. May your blessing be on your people. (vv.7-8).

 

Psalm 4  In this song of trust, David seeks God’s help (v.1), warns his enemies and exhorts them to trust God (vv.2-5), and, in spite of opposition , expresses his trust in the Lord, who gives him joy, peace, and security (vv.6-8). The background of this psalm is likely the same as of Psalm 3; i.e., Absalom’s revolt. David appeals to the rebels to have second thoughts about supporting Absalom.

Psalm 4: 1-8  “ Answer me when I call to you, O my righteous God. Give me relief from my distress; be merciful to me and hear my prayer. How long, O men, will you turn my glory into shame? How long will you love delusions and seek false gods? Know that the Lord has set apart the godly for himself; the Lord will hear when I call to him.(vv.1-3).

 In your anger do not sin; when you are on your beds, search your hearts and be silent. (v.4). Offer right sacrifices and trust in the Lord. Many are asking, “ Who can show us any good? Let the light of your face shine upon us, O Lord. You have filled my heart with greater joy than when their grain and new wine abound. I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety. (vv.5-8).


Bibliography,

Ryrie, Charles C. The Ryrie study Bible (NIV). Chicago, IL: The Moody Bible Institute, 1986. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment