Sunday, September 18, 2022

Weekly message: Concerning Forgiveness- Jesus washed feet (John 13:1-20) By Rev. Katherine Liu Bruce 9/18/2022

 Weekly message: “Concerning Forgiveness” (John 13:1-20)

 By Rev. Katherine Liu Bruce    9/18/2022

Christian Arts Ministries: Biblical precepts& Gospel music; Pastoral ministry & Counseling

John 13: 1-20  

 It was just before the Passover Feast. Jesus knew that the time had come for him to leave this world and go to the Father. Having loved his own who were in the world, he now showed them the full extent of his love. The evening meal was being served, and the devil had already prompted Judas Iscariot, son of Simon, to betray Jesus. Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God; so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him. (John13:1-5).

He came to Simon Pete, who said to him, “Lord, are you going to wash my feet?” Jesus replied, “You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand.” No, said Peter, “you shall never wash my feet.” Jesus answered, “Unless I wash you, you have no part with me.” (vv.6-8).

Then, Lord, Simon Peter replied, “Not just my feet but my hands and my head as well”. Jesus answered, “A person who has had a bath needs only to wash his feet; his whole body is clean. And you are clean, though not every one of you.”  For He knew who was going to betray him, and that was why he said, not everyone was clean.  (vv.9-11).

When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place.  “Do you understand what I have done for you?” he asked them. “You call me Teacher and Lord, and rightly so, for that is what I am. Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.  I tell you the truth; no servant is greater than his master. nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them. (vv.12-17).

I am not referring to all of you; I know those I have chosen. But this is to fulfill the scripture: “He who shares my bread has lifted up his heel against me.” I am telling you now before it happen, so that when it does happen you will believe that I am he. I tell you the truth, whoever accepts anyone I send accepts me, and whoever accepts me accepts the one who sent me.“ (vv.18-19).

Biblical interpretation

 Outer clothing, signify the Lord’s virtues and attributes in His expression. Hence, the laying aside of His outer garments signifies the putting off of what He is in His expression. To gird oneself signifies to be bound and restricted with humility. Water here signifies the Holy Spirit, the word, and life. We are regenerated saints in our spirit and in the heavenlies, but in their body we are still living in the flesh and walking on the earth. Through our contact with earthly things we often become dirty. This frustrates our fellowship with the Lord and with one another. Therefore, we need the washing with the Holy Spirit, the Word and life.  Washing away of our dirtiness that our fellowship with the Lord and with one another may be maintained. Foot washing should not be taken merely in a physical sense, but rather in a spiritual sense.

In ancient times the Jews wore sandals, and since their roads were dusty, their feet easily became dirty if, when they came to a feast, they  sat at the table and stretched out their feet, the dirt and the smell would certainly frustrate the fellowship. Hence, for the feast to be pleasant they needed foot-washing. The Lord washed His disciples’ feet to show them that He love them to the uttermost (v.1) and He charged them to do the same to one another in love.

Today the world is dirty, and we, the saints, are easily contaminated. For us to maintain pleasant fellowship with the Lord and with one another, we need spiritual foot-washing- with the washing word, and the washing life- carried out both by the Lord in His love and by one another in love. This is absolutely necessary in order for us to live in the fellowship of the divine life.

 Implication & Application of John 13: 1-20

1). Jesus knew that Judas will betray him, he said, “He who shares my bread has lifted up his heel against me.” But Jesus understood that Father had put all things under his power. Jesus came as a humble servant and obeyed Father’s redemption plan. Through washing feet, He demonstrated His meekness that He came to serve and not be served. He urged disciples, “You also should wash one another’s feet”. This illustration has to do with forgiveness. So this phrase means that the believer ought to forgive one another.

 2). Ministering as opportunity surrounds us does not mean selecting our surroundings, it means being very selectly God’s in any haphazard surroundings which He engineers for us.  The Characteristics we manifest in our immediate surroundings are indications of what we will be like in other surroundings. Jesus said, “I have given you an example that ye should do as I have done to you. Watch the kind of people God brings around you, and you will be humiliated to find that this is His way of revealing to you the kind of person you have been to Him. Now he says, exhibit to that one exactly what I have shown to you.

 3). It takes God Almighty incarnate in us to do the meanest duty as it ought to be done. Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you. (Matt.5:11-12)

 4). You have heard that it was said, “Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.” But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also…You have head that it was said, “Love your neighbor and hate your enemy. But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heave. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. (Matt.5:43-45). 

 5). In relation to others. For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. (Matt.6:14).So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sum up the Law and the Prophets. (Matt.7:12).

 

Bibliography,

 Chambers, Oswald. My Utmost for His Highest. NY: Dodd, Mead & Company, Inc, 1935.

 Lee, Witness The New Testament (R.V.) (Anaheim, CA: Living Stream Ministry, 1985), 

Ryrie, Charles C. The Ryrie study Bible (NIV). Chicago, IL: The Moody Bible Institute, 1986. 

             

 

No comments:

Post a Comment